Alabama World Languages Education Foundation Specialty License Plate: NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-COMMITTALS
On May 23, 2018, the Alabama License Commission unanimously approved AWLEF’s application for specialty license plate. From June 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019, supporters of the organization have the opportunity to commit to purchasing the tag should AWLEF meet the 250 minimum number of supporters of the tag by May 31, 2019. More than 250 people can order that tag, but tags will not be produced until the number of supporters reaches 250.
Supporters will pay $50 per year in fees in order to keep the tag. The physical tag itself can be used for 5 years before needing to be replaced. This $50 is on top of regular registration fees and other fees paid for personalizing the tag itself. Of that $50, AWLEF will receive nearly $42 in disbursements. Funds collected through this tag will support the following
- W.I.L.D. and other immersion programs for high school students in Alabama.
- Immersion programs and other professional development opportunities for in-service and pre-service language teachers in Alabama at both private and public institutions.
- Scholarships for in-service and pre-service teachers to attend language/teacher training programs abroad.
- Programs in support of developing and maintaining dual-language K-12 programs in the state of Alabama.
- Pre-school and early childhood language education programs in the state of Alabama.
- Scholarships for secondary and post-secondary student to attend language programs abroad.
- Seed grants to apply for large grants that will have a major impact on world language education in the state of Alabama.
The AWLEF Board of Directors will create criteria and maintain applications for the disbursement of funds collected through the AWLEF Specialty Tag program. A yearly summary of the usage of funds will be made available at the end of each fiscal year.
Thank you for supporting world language education in the state of Alabama! Click here for directions on how to purchase the tag.
For any questions, please email Nick Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org.