W.I.L.D. Weekend Immersed in Language Development November 9-11, 2018
Sponsored by the Alabama World Languages Education Foundation (AWLEF) Cosponsored by The Alabama Humanities Foundation, a state program of the National Endowment for the Humanities
Columbiana, Alabama 35051
Learn more about the 4H Center here.
Dr. Krista Chambless
AWLEF, Executive Director
Dr. Nick Gossett
Dr. Sandrine Hope
AWLEF, Co-Director W.I.L.D.
The Alabama World Languages Education Foundation (AWLEF) established by Alabama Association of Foreign Language Teachers seeks to enhance the opportunities for foreign language teachers and students to improve their spoken language skills and fully realizes that travel abroad is not accessible to most teachers and students on a regular basis. Therefore, AWLEF is continuing the work of AWLA to provide opportunities to its teachers and students to practice and improve their skills in residential, immersion experiences led by fluent scholars.
The 14th annual Weekend Immersed in Language Development (W.I.L.D.)student experience will be offered November 9-11, 2018, for students of Spanish, French, and German who have completed at least one full course of the target language and who are at least in the 10th grade in the fall of 2018. This 2 1⁄2 day residential program will take place at the 4H Center just outside of Birmingham. The activities planned will include daily living experiences as well as cultural and academic learning experiences. The purpose of the project is to put the students in a setting where they will use the language they are acquiring in a nonthreatening, relaxed atmosphere whose goal is communication. Therefore, activities will include physical activities, film discussion, games, music, art, history and grammar. Throughout the weekend, second language acquisition will take place either directly from lectures and reading/writing experiences or indirectly through daily living experiences and games.
For some of the activities, the students will be grouped according to their level of study, but for the majority of the time the students of varying levels will be mixed so they may learn from each other as well as from their instructors. The planning committee consists of university and high school scholars. The program begins on Friday evening, Nov. 9, 2018 and ends in the early afternoon of Sunday, Nov. 11, 2018. It is open to 120 students of French, Spanish, and German. The students will be chaperoned and instructed by 18 teachers/scholars. The students are selected based on their level of study, grades in their language courses, their teacher and personal letters of recommendation and an essay explaining what they hope to gain from the experience and how learning a second language can help them in their career choices.
The cost to students is only $75* for the entire weekend and includes meals, lodging and all supplies. A need-based scholarship is available to students who qualify. The application and further information will be posted on the AWLA website at www.theawla.org. In addition, information will be emailed to all foreign language teachers and will be sent through our email list to all AWLA members. For further information, contact the program directors (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Registration Process for W.I.L.D 2018
All registration documents are to be completed online for the W.I.L.D. 2018 program. The following steps/documents are required in order to successfully register for W.I.L.D. 2018:
1) If you have not done so already, complete the online application form. The online application form can be accessed here.
2) Once you have completed the online application, follow this link for all required documents. There should be Medical Release form, Photo Release form, and Code of Conduct form. Each document needs to be printed or completed online, signed by a parent or guardian, scanned (if printed out), and emailed to email@example.com with the student's name in the subject line of the email.
3) Be sure you have completed the online registration form from item1 above or your application will not be considered.
4) Once all documents have been received and you have completed the online application form, your application will be reviewed by the W.I.L.D. directors. You will be notified whether or not you are accepted via email.
5) The final step, after you have been accepted, is to pay the $75 registration fee. Go to: https://www.paypal.me/AWLEF and type $75 in the spot where the $0.00 is located. You can pay with a debit card, credit card, or a PayPal account through that link. If you have any issues with PayPal or do not feel comfortable paying through PayPal, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the student’s name in the subject line and one of the directors will contact you. PLEASE, do not submit payment until you have received an official email of acceptance. Note: You will receive an automated email after completing the online application, this is not a letter of acceptance.
If you have any questions at any point during the process, please email email@example.com and one of the directors will respond.
Cancellation Policy: If payment has not been received by Oct. 20, the student will be removed from the program. Any cancellation by the student after Oct. 20, will not be refunded no matter the reason.