Sponsored by the Alabama World Languages Education Foundation (AWLEF)
WHO: The Alabama World Languages Education Foundation (AWLEF) established by Alabama Association of Foreign Language Teachers (now AWLA) seeks to enhance the opportunities for foreign language teachers and students to improve their spoken language skills and fully realizes that travel abroad is not accessible to most teachers and students on a regular basis.
Therefore, AWLEF is continuing the work of AWLA to provide opportunities to its teachers and students to practice and improve their skills in residential, immersion experiences led by fluent scholars.
The planning committee consists of university and high school scholars. The students will be chaperoned and instructed by volunteer teachers/scholars.
It is open to students of French, Spanish, and German. The students are selected based on their level of study, grades in their language courses, and an essay explaining what they hope to gain from the experience and how learning a second language can help them in their career choices.
WHEN: November 14, 2020, The program begins on Saturday morning, at 9:00 A.M. and ends in the afternoon at 5:00 P.M.
WHAT: The Weekend is for students of Spanish, French, and German who have completed at least one full course of the target language and who are at least in the 10th grade in the fall of 2020. The activities planned will include daily living experiences as well as cultural and academic learning experiences. The purpose of the project is to put the students in a setting where they will use the language they are acquiring in a nonthreatening, relaxed atmosphere whose goal is communication. Therefore, activities will include physical activities, film discussion, games, music, art, history, etc. Throughout the weekend, second language acquisition will take place either directly from lectures and reading/writing experiences or indirectly through daily living experiences and games.
WHERE: This 1 day program will exceptionally take place virtually.
HOW MUCH: The cost to students is only $25** . A need-based scholarship is available to students who qualify.
MORE INFORMATION? For further information, contact the program directors at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Sandrine @ 205-799-7078 (leave a voicemail).
Weekend Immersed in Language Development November 14, 2020
Dr. Sandrine Hope
AWLEF, Co-Director W.I.L.D.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 7, 2020
All registration documents are to be completed online for the W.I.L.D. 2020 program. The following steps are required in order to successfully register for W.I.L.D. 2020:
1) Complete the online application form, and pay the non-refundable registration fee ($25). The online application form can be accessed here, and the payment can be processed here*. NO OTHER DOCUMENTS NEED SUBMITTING AT THIS TIME.
4) Once the application is received it will be reviewed by the W.I.L.D. directors. You will be notified whether or not you are accepted via email by October 15th.
5) The final step, after you have been accepted, make sure to check emails for all the information.
* For payment, go to: https://www.paypal.me/AWLEF and type the amount ($25 for registration) in the spot where the $0.00 is located. You can pay with a debit card, credit card, or a PayPal account through that link.
If you have any issues with PayPal or do not feel comfortable paying through PayPal, please send an email to email@example.com with the student’s name in the subject line and one of the directors will contact you.
Note: You will receive an automated email after completing the online application, this is not a letter of acceptance.
If you have any questions at any point during the process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the directors will respond.
Cancellation Policy: Any cancellation by the student after payment, will not be refunded no matter the reason.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 07, 2020
* * Despite the program being held virtually this year, we still have expenses to defray which is why we have to charge a small program fee.
Any one with any resources for grants is welcome to reach out to the directors at email@example.com