Alabama World Languages Education Foundation
Specialty License Plate Information
On May 23, 2018, the Alabama License Commission unanimously approved AWLEF’s application for specialty license plate. From June 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019, supporters of the organization have the opportunity to commit to purchasing the tag should AWLEF meet the 250 minimum number of supporters of the tag by May 31, 2019. More than 250 people can order that tag, but tags will not be produced until the number of supporters reaches 250.
Supporters will pay $50 per year in fees in order to keep the tag. The physical tag itself can be used for 5 years before needing to be replaced. This $50 is on top of regular registration fees and other fees paid for personalizing the tag itself. Of that $50, AWLEF will receive nearly $42 in disbursements. Funds collected through this tag will support the following AWLEF initiatives:
- W.I.L.D. and other immersion programs for high school students in Alabama.
- Immersion programs and other professional development opportunities for in-service and pre-service language teachers in Alabama at both private and public institutions.
- Scholarships for in-service and pre-service teachers to attend language/teacher training programs abroad.
- Programs in support of developing and maintaining dual-language K-12 programs in the state of Alabama.
- Pre-school and early childhood language education programs in the state of Alabama.
- Scholarships for secondary and post-secondary student to attend language programs abroad.
- Seed grants to apply for large grants that will have a major impact on world language education in the state of Alabama.
The AWLEF Board of Directors will create criteria and maintain applications for the disbursement of funds collected through the AWLEF Specialty Tag program. A yearly summary of the usage of funds will be made available at the end of each fiscal year.
How to apply for the AWLEF Specialty Tag:
1. Go to the site: https://precommit.mvtrip.alabama.gov/
2. Select “Individual Application” (FYI: You can add all cars under your name on an individual application.)
3. Click to the tab “06/01/2018 to 05/31/2019” and go to the bottom of the page to see the “World Language Education” license plate
4. Click “Request Plate”
5. Complete the application form. Be sure to mark the box for personalizing the tag if that is something you plan to do. You may add multiple vehicles in your name. Save time by putting in your current license plate number.
6. Pay the $50 tag fee via credit card. Once the payment has processed, you will receive an email from email@example.com with a Pre-commitment Payment Receipt. The email describes the process to receive the tag once we have met the 250-person threshold.
Thank you for supporting world language education in the state of Alabama!
For any questions, please email Nick Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Click here for a PDF version of this page.